So where did the iconic French Classic Stripe originate?
First introduced in 1858 as the uniform for all French navy seaman in Northern France. The original Breton Stripe top design featured 21 stripes, one for each of Napoleon Bonaparte's victories and the distinctive stripes made it easier to spot wayward sailors who had fallen overboard.
Since then we have seen many variations on this stripe and some famous personas have added their stamp, namely Coco Chanel, Audrey Hepburn and the enfant terrible Jean Paul Gautier, who not only recreated the stripe in his own style, but wore it so well!
Usually recognised as a cotton top with blue sailor-like stripes, the style was only realised as a fashionable item when, after a trip to the French coast, Coco Chanel was so inspired by the sailors’ uniform that she incorporated the stripes into her 1917 nautical collection.
This iconic stripe top would, in our view, be the first top to shop for in spring. You can’t go wrong with this investment piece, whether you team it with denim, with black or white trousers, with sneakers, or with a wide leg trouser (à la Coco Chanel) and heel sandal, Breton stripes are effortlessly stylish in every situation.
- A timeless style for the minimalist girl.
- Long lasting - Foxology quality striped top will last you for many seasons.
- For the wild one - to clash prints.
- A British twist on a French classic.
- You participate in Fair Trade - this is an organic and certified fair trade cotton top.
- Sustainable - No supply chain gap! Design and knitted in UK.
- Versatile and Functional
- Casual, and Cool ;)
- Soft Organic Cotton.
- Seam Free so no irritating seams